The cathedral was built in 1881–1884 for the Lutheran workers of Krenholm Manufacturing Company, and it was designed by architect Otto Pius von Hippius from St. Petersburg. In 1944, the bell tower along with a Walcker organ that was located there was destroyed. Today, the cathedral’s bell tower has been restored. The installation Heaven above Narva is exhibited in the church hall. Images are displayed on the church vaults and guests can watch the colourful history of Narva come alive from special chairs. The light installation in the church is the largest permanent projection area in the whole of Eastern Europe, 520 m2 in total.